Sunday, July 24, 2005

Bathtubbing

This weekend in Nanaimo is the World famous Marine Festival featuring our unique bathtub race. Check out this guy's site to see what bathtubbing is really about------->http://members.shaw.ca/jmwells/bathtubbing.html

When it first began in the 1960's several wild and crazy guys would jump in these bathtubs and ride the waves over to Vancouver approximately 32 miles away. Over the years the bathtubs have become more powerful and maybe a little bit more comfortable. Nanaimo has always had a wild reputation as a party town and I think it all began with what happened in this town during the third weekend in July. One weekend in the 1980's we had a huge riot downtown after all the drunks left a dance and the many shop window's were destroyed. I think after that weekend the RCMP had to build a new office to make sure they had enough room in the drunk tanks for all the idiots. When I was younger, there used to be 2 dances on the weekend and it was an extremely drunken weekend but of course the animals ruined that for us by causing too much trouble so the dances were cancelled because they couldn't have enough security. Now it is mostly a family affair with fireworks on Saturday night, a parade and a street party during the day. We went to the fireworks last night and there was still the drunken idiots in the crowd but not near the lack of intelligence as there used to be....hmmm could that be cause I don't drink anymore...some people would have to think about that

We had a great week away on the west coast of Vancouver island and I posted a couple pictures that we had taken with my webcam, I have another couple rolls in my regular camera that I will have to get developed. The island over the years has really exploded with each area becoming more and more populated. Twenty years ago property up on the west coast would be selling for maybe 20000. dollars and now they are going for probably close to 400000. Property in Nanaimo isn't much different, when I bought my waterfront house in 1988 I paid 40000. and now I could get over 300000. dollars for it. Those are the joys of living in paradise I guess. I will try to post some more over this week but I have a sick Grandma in the hospital so my attentions are in other places right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

I am sorry about your Grandma, I hope she has a good recovery.

RE the bathtubs... I knew they were good inventions!! :-)

8:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home